Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

Carl,

You raise an interesting another point.  In BCM we talk about
domains, communities of interest and then authoritive sources.

Such an authority clearly has to be responsible for managing the
UID values within their domain.

Using my example - the USPS is managing the semantics
around their address formats.  Then this can be crosswalked
to the international authority - the UPU - and their UID set,
and similarly the OASIS CIQ too.

However - you expect that domain analysts can work
offline - and then later upload or share their work with
both RR servers and co-workers.   This is another
critical value - that avoids the need for an RR in order
to be able to do CCTS.  If you use UUID - you are almost
mandating that people have to do this with RR - and that
clearly breaks the ebXML need for components to be
self-sufficient.

The good news is - by decoupling away from UUID values
and using UID as the reference - any registry can happily
import those definitions and assign it own local UUID internal
keys to those entries - without breaking anything.

Also - by using the UID - you can track groups of related
definitions ( query on "USPS0201*" ) and so on - and
versions and sub-versions (query on "USPS020120:*") -
which is not possible in a UUID based system.

Notice also that if you want to use something like UDEF id
in addition - or in place of the 6 digit UID - this also
works - for the same reasons - the authoritative source
creates the UDEF ids and these then become the domain
reference system.

All these behaviours and more is why the reference system
for the semantic building blocks should be using the UID
tied to the registry RIM external ID as the foundation.

Thanks, DW.