Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue with UUID's for Core Components and BIE's

David RR Webber had written:

>Your point about the 16 bytes reminded me of another
>big issue -using these UUIDs you also need to avoid
>embedding the URL for the registry too - making this
>even more ugly (what if you need to relocate your registry
>to a new server?).

There is more to this but he is right.  If there is any potential for
the business designer to use the BIE or CC outside of a registry (likely
a given), yet they may need to access the Registry RIM instance data to
reconcile associations and/or classifications, the URI of the registry,
perhaps in the form of a URL, should probably be a mandatory attribute
of the serialization.

To retrieve a copy of anything from a registry, you need three things:

1. The UUID of the object
2. The location/address of the registry
3. Knowledge of the protocol used to bind to the registry to invoke the
correct method to retrieve the object

Luckily for us, Farrukh and team have been able to build this into one
simple URL encoded string:

http://registry_location:Port/urlInterface/getRegistryObject?id=urn:uuid:6e60580b-4538-2615-0c2c-3e034c430445

Duane

--