Subject: RE: invitation for the Registry TC to test doc mgmt system

Karl,
Yes, the ebXML Registry TC is interested in participating in the alpha
test for the document management system.  Carl Mattocks will be
participating for the ebXML Registry SCM subcommittee.

Please let us know what is required for our participation.

Thanks,
Kathryn

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl F. Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 10:58 AM
To: Breininger, Kathryn R
Cc: Jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

Kathryn:

You're probably aware that OASIS staff has begun building a document
management system to provide our TCs with a means to manage the
documents that they produce. The current Kavi doc repository, while
providing some useful functionality, has serious limitations
particularly in the areas of version control and persistent URLs.

While we're still at an alpha stage of development, we would like to
invite a small number of TCs to participate in testing. The purpose of
this alpha test is to ascertain whether SVN is indeed the correct
platform upon which OASIS should build its document management system.

We on OASIS staff would like to invite your TC to participate in the
alpha test because we felt that the TC

* is active, and probably has multiple people editing documents
* has multiple, but a manageable number of, documents in development
* has multiple document types in development
* might be willing and able to put some time into this, and would be
willing to abide by the testing rules

This alpha document management system is an implementation of Subversion

(SVN) with a Kavi authentication layer. The current implementation
(April 2004) includes only the native SVN functionality. This consists,
basically, of checkout/in, version control, change merge for text-based
formats, and persistent URL. A users guide and additional information
for Subversion may be found at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ General
information about Subversion is available at
http://subversion.tigris.org

After the alpha test, additional functionality will be developed by
OASIS staff to fulfill the set of requirements developed with the input
of the TC chairs in early 2004. Functionality such as searching,
granularity of permissions, a default/base directory structure,
additional document metadata, GUI clients for non-Windows platforms,
management of packages of files, and notification to TC members upon
file checkin all still need to be provided.

Once we've completed development and rolled out the doc management
system each TC (and SC) will have its own SVN repository, and only
members of the TC or SC will have RW rights. Non-TC or SC members,
including other OASIS members and the public, will have Read rights
only.

It must be assumed that this current SVN implementation is alpha only.
Critical functionality has still not yet been developed. In addition,
until we have made the final decision that SVN is the platform upon
which the OASIS document management system will be built, we cannot
assume that this current implementation will survive; therefore the TC
must continue to use the Kavi doc repository for their real work. The TC

must operate under the assumption that everything that they put in this
repository could disappear at the end of the test. (There is no
guarantee that we will use either this software platform or this
particular instantiation of the repository going forward; major changes
may also be made to the repositories, depending on the results of the
testing.)

Our intent is to start four weeks of testing on 19 April; comments and
feedback would be returned to me for compilation.

If your TC would be interested in participating please let me know by
mid next week.

thanks
-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org