Subject: Re: [regrep] GCN:"Would a governmentwide XML schema registry cut duplication?"

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>Just released: Government Computer News (GCN) feature on XML registries,
>featuring Owen Ambur (XML.gov Co-Chair) and Marion Royal of GSA.
>
>Title: "Would a governmentwide XML schema registry cut duplication?"
>
>Quote: "It is far harder than it should be for folks to discover and
>reuse data elements, not to mention actual instances of data," said
>Ambur, a systems analyst for the Fish and Wildlife Service. "They are
>often left with no practical choice but to reinvent the data elements
>they need."
>
>Of course, this can only be fully realized when the OASIS/ebXML Registry
>standard has *native, standard* support for registration, maintenance,
>and discovery of fine-grained artifacts
>(elements/attributes/datatypes/namespace identifiers), along with a
>*standard mechanism* to assemble these into schemas. :)

Thanks for sharing this Joe.

The ebXML Registry standard already supports:

"
*native, standard* support for registration, maintenance,
and discovery of fine-grained artifacts
(elements/attributes/datatypes/namespace identifiers)
"

Note that we have had above abilities since version 1.0 of the ebXML
Registry.

What we do not yet have is the

"*standard mechanism* to assemble these into schemas"

I also want to point out that the "*standard mechanism* to assemble
these into schemas"
is not and has never been part of our charter. We view this as an
application that is a client
of the ebXML Registry. We are willing to help anyone who wishes to
develop such a client.

Please let me know if I misunderstand the issue and do what you can to
correct any accidental misleading
perception. Thanks.

Going to Java One 2004 June 28 - July 1?

http://java.sun.com/javaone/

Come see the newly released freebXML Registry 3.0
at pod 1220 in the Java One Pavilion:

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/freebXMLRegistryBrochure.pdf
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/04-02-02.pdf