Subject: Re: [regrep]GCN:"Would a governmentwide XML schema registry cut duplication?"

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>Thanks Farrukh. I was actually referring to "more native" than we
>currently do. That is, folks pick up our specs, look for references to
>registering these items, and they do not find a reference - they then
>come to the conclusion that the registry cannot support these
>requirements. I know that it can, if an implementer wanted to include
>this support - but I am certain that we need to give one the ability to
>do the following:
>
>(1) Search for all XML elements that belong to namespace XYZ
>(2) Register an XML attribute and associate it in the registry with
>specific XML elements
>(3) Discover all complex datatypes that contain elements that were
>submitted by organization YYY
>etc.
>
>A standard mechanism for this in our specs - or a Technical Note - would
>help ensure that vendors implement this functionality in a standard way.
>Frankly, this void is IMHO one of the things that has inhibited the
>existence of an US federal XML registry (or series of registries). I'm
>basing this not only on my opinion, but on the opinions of folks in the
>federal space that I have heard over and over for years now.

I agree that a TN is the way to communicate how to use an ebXML Registry
to manage XML Schema artifacts.
Such a TN could be the outcome of the work we are doing in the OASIS
egov registry SC and piloting within the
UK Government. On behalf of that SC I am willing to take such a TN as
one of our deliverables in the next few months.

But I do want to clear any incorrect perception that such support does
not exist in the registry today. The TN will describe nothing new that
the registry needs to do. It will only describe how to use it for that
specific application.

Let me know if this sounds reasonable.

Going to Java One 2004 June 28 - July 1?

http://java.sun.com/javaone/

Come see the newly released freebXML Registry 3.0
at pod 1220 in the Java One Pavilion:

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/freebXMLRegistryBrochure.pdf
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/04-02-02.pdf