Subject: Re: [regrep] Shorter URNs proposal

Stojanovic, Nikola wrote:

><Farrukh>
>
>I propose that the following URN prefix:
>
>    urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep
>
>should be shortened to:
>
>    urn:oasis:regrep
>
></Farrukh>
>

>I don't see how could we arbitrarily make-up URNs that are under "oasis"
>Namespace ID and that don't conform to RFC 3121
>(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3121.txt).
>
>Note: Hope Karl can provide us with some comments here.

I did not realize that the RFC 3121 was that specific. Above obviously
does not make sense unless given RFC 3121.
I withdraw that part of the proposal. Thanks for catching my mistake.

I still request consideration for the remaining two components of the
shorter URN proposal:

<Farrukh: version independent URNs>
Another related issue that has come up is that we use the spec version
in our URNs.
For example for Submitter Defined URLs we have the following URN:

urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:3.0:rim:RegistryObject:locator

Every time our version changes the Slot metadata in the registry would
need to be migrated.
This is unacceptable from a usability standpoint.

I propose that we only use version in URNs where it is likely to be
version dependent.

<Farrukh: version independent URNs>

and also the removal of spec component which is option in the RFC 3121
any way.

Of these remaining two components of the proposal the version
independent URNs proposal is vitally important
as not fixing this is a maintenance nightmare for us and our user.