Subject: Re: [regrep] Shorter URNs proposal

Hmmm - there again - if you store the URN prefix separately - then
you can just use an alias to it anyway.

That way you save the 25Mb regardless of if the URN is some
monster long 20K string, or just 10 bytes - since all you store is
a short pointer to the alias... and better yet - if it changes - you
just update the alias once - not every occurence everywhere...

DW

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stojanovic, Nikola" <Nikola.Stojanovic@RosettaNet.org>
To: <regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: <karl.best@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 2:27 AM

<Farrukh>

I propose that the following URN prefix:

    urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep

should be shortened to:

    urn:oasis:regrep

</Farrukh>

I don't see how could we arbitrarily make-up URNs that are under "oasis"
Namespace ID and that don't conform to RFC 3121
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3121.txt).

Note: Hope Karl can provide us with some comments here.

<Farrukh>

I further propose that we remove the spec component of the URN (rim or
rs).

If we agree with my proposal the locator URN changes as follows...

Old:  urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:3.0:rim:RegistryObject:locator
New: urn:oasis:regrep:RegistryObject:locator

Notice the space savings is 25 MB for a million objects.

</Farrukh>

Maybe we should revisit a need for full URNs in places like slot names
as in the example above? Or, perhaps we should look at some other URN
options?

Regards,
Nikola

OASIS TC), go to