Subject: Meeting reminder and agenda

This is a reminder and the agenda for our telecon today, Thursday,
August 19th, from 1:30-3:30 pm PT.

Call in information is below.

USA domestic toll free number: 1-866-235-8350
International number: 206-655-2988
Pass code: 669014#
Here is the phone number for the operator if you have any problems:
206-655-2254.

We will plan to move quickly through the first several items so we can
concentrate on the specs and on the couple other issues that have come
up.
Agenda:
	1. Minute taker

	2. Minutes from last meeting (July 8th minutes - who recorded?)

	3. eGov report

	4. WSRP report

	5. cc Review subcommittee report

	6. SAML discussion
 <<[regrep] [Fwd: SAML for ebXML Registry 3.0 Specifications]>>
	7. Shorter URNs
 <<Re: [regrep] Shorter URNs proposal>>
	8. Interop demos
 <<RE: [regrep] Interop Demo opportunities at XML 2004>>
	9. Spec discussion

	10. Other issues/items

	11. Next meeting

Please let me know if there are additional items for the agenda.

Kathryn

Kathryn Breininger
CENTRAL Project Manager
Emerging Technologies
Boeing Library Services

425-965-0182 phone
425-237-3491 fax
kathryn.r.breininger@boeing.com

--- Begin Message ---
FYI... Richard tells me that the regrep-comment list is bouncing. Anyone
know why?
In any event here is his comment which he CCed me on.

I have heard the same issue that Richard raises from other advanced
users of ebXML Registry.

As you may recall we have alignment with SAML planned for version 4.
Given that OASIS Security Services TC:

    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=security

has already approved SAML 1.1 it becomes more significant that we
address SAML integration with ebXML Registry standard.

Based on Richard's comment I have started looking into what it will take
to support single signon based upon SAML 1.1 standard.
Preliminary research on SAML SOAP Binding:

*http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/3405/oasis-sstc-saml-bindings-1.1.pdf*

shows that we could easily add SAML 1.1 (and later SAML 2.0) support
with no changes to RIM and
minor changes to ebRS. The change would be to describe how SAML
assertions are communicated
within a SOAP-ENV:Body (see line 354 in SAML Bindings doc).

It seems that this could be a LOW Effort / HIGH Return feature to add to
our 3.0 specs and I am willing to
do the spec changes in ebRS 2.7 to accommodate it. An open issue is
whether SAML support should be required or optional feature for
ebXML Registry.

Kathryn, can we please place this request on our agenda
for next meeting? Thanks.

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

We are deploying ebXML Registry in the Canadian Government. One challenge we face is that we already have an existing enterprise user database where we maintain user credentials. When deploying ebXML Registry we are faced with having to duplicate our user database within ebXML Registry. We observe that the SAML 1.1 standard is an OASIS approved standard that could help address our problem completely by allowing single sign capability across all our SAML enabled systems thus eliminating the duplication of user databases.

We therefore request that ebXML Registry 3.0 specifications add support for single sign-on capability based upon SAML 1.1 standard. We believe that this feature is vitally important to the successful deployment of ebXML Registry within large enterprises such as ours.

Thank you for considering our request for adding SAML 1.1 support to ebXML Registry 3.0 specifications.

	Richard Lessard
	Programmer/Systems Analyst
	Public Works and Government Services Canada
	11 Rue Laurier, PdP III, 4A1. Hull, Quebec K1A 0S5
	Phone : (819) 956-0550
	richard.lessard@pwgsc.gc.ca
--- End Message ---
To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the roster of the OASIS TC), go to http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/members/leave_workgroup.php.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Stojanovic, Nikola wrote:

><Farrukh>
>
>I propose that the following URN prefix:
>
>    urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep
>
>should be shortened to:
>
>    urn:oasis:regrep
>
></Farrukh>
>

>I don't see how could we arbitrarily make-up URNs that are under "oasis"
>Namespace ID and that don't conform to RFC 3121
>(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3121.txt).
>
>Note: Hope Karl can provide us with some comments here.

I did not realize that the RFC 3121 was that specific. Above obviously
does not make sense unless given RFC 3121.
I withdraw that part of the proposal. Thanks for catching my mistake.

I still request consideration for the remaining two components of the
shorter URN proposal:

<Farrukh: version independent URNs>
Another related issue that has come up is that we use the spec version
in our URNs.
For example for Submitter Defined URLs we have the following URN:

urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:3.0:rim:RegistryObject:locator

Every time our version changes the Slot metadata in the registry would
need to be migrated.
This is unacceptable from a usability standpoint.

I propose that we only use version in URNs where it is likely to be
version dependent.

<Farrukh: version independent URNs>

and also the removal of spec component which is option in the RFC 3121
any way.

Of these remaining two components of the proposal the version
independent URNs proposal is vitally important
as not fixing this is a maintenance nightmare for us and our user.

><Farrukh>
>
>I further propose that we remove the spec component of the URN (rim or
>rs).
>
>If we agree with my proposal the locator URN changes as follows...
>
>Old:  urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:3.0:rim:RegistryObject:locator
>New: urn:oasis:regrep:RegistryObject:locator
>
>Notice the space savings is 25 MB for a million objects.
>
></Farrukh>
>

>Maybe we should revisit a need for full URNs in places like slot names
>as in the example above? Or, perhaps we should look at some other URN
>options?
>

>Regards,
>Nikola

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Kathryn,

David and I have talked about coordinating our two ebXML pilots. This might be a good oppertunity. One from NIST and one from the Linux Open Source Development Lab.