Subject: Re: [regrep] Groups - regrep-modules.pdf uploaded

Richard Martell wrote:

>Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>

>>rmartell@galdosinc.com wrote:
>>

>>>The document regrep-modules.pdf has been submitted by Richard Martell
>>>(rmartell@galdosinc.com) to the OASIS ebXML Registry TC document
>>>repository.
>>>
>>>Document Description:
>>>This is a proposal for incorporating the concept of an extension
>>>module into ebRIM. In effect a module is a registry package that
>>>constitutes an 'expansion pack' for handling certain types of content.
>>>
>>>Download Document:
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/download.php/9084/regrep-modules.pdf
>>>

>>>View Document Details:
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/document.php?document_id=9084
>>>

>>>PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email
>>>application
>>>may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and
>>>paste
>>>the entire link address into the address field of your web browser.
>>>

>>>To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the roster
>>>of the OASIS TC), go to
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/members/leave_workgroup.php.
>>>

>>Richard,
>>
>>The idea of regrep extension modules you introduce in this paper are a
>>timely and important solution to a growing need; the need to customize
>>ebXML Registry to the needs of domain specific information models.
>>
>>I have been observing that ebXML Registry is being used in many
>>different vertical domains from Medical, Government, Defense,
>>Statistics, Automotive, Travel, and of course Geospatial. Each domain
>>has its own unique information model. Fortunately, each model can use
>>the existing extension capabilities of ebRIM to map their information
>>model to ebRIM. Your paper proposes doing such mappings in a more
>>standard way by defining normatively how such mapping should be done.
>>

>This proposal derives from work we've been doing in OGC test beds to
>define RIM extensions that are tailored to meet specific application
>needs. Since a "mother of all registries" is an unlikely prospect in
>most situations, we needed a mechanism that enables providers to package
>together a cohesive set of extensions in a flexible manner; the basic
>idea is that modules are logical "plug-ins" for handling/searching
>registry content.
>
>While we've focused on rather specialized geospatial extensions, the
>concept can be generally applied. A module itself is then subject to
>lifecycle management on the part of some authority, and it can be
>readily advertised and queried.
>

>>I think this is an important issue for our standard to address soon
>>because of the variety of extensions being defined by various vertical
>>domains.
>>
>>One area that your paper does not currently address is how to add new
>>classes to ebRIM complete with new attributes, XML schema binding and
> [...]
+1 on updating modules proposal to support"hard" extensions. Ideally we
should cover how extension XML schemas are defined, what constraints
must they observe and how the XML Schema maps to SQL schema extensions.
A 90% solution here would go a long way.

I would also like to propose that the modules proposal be on the agenda
for the next TC meeting with enough time allocated for a substance
filled discussion.

Thanks again for taking the lead on this important proposal.