Subject: Re: [regrep] [TN Proposal] Mapping Business Information Models toebXML RegistryInformation Model (Was: [regrep] UN/CEFACT-ICG adopts freebXMLRegistry)

Duane Nickull wrote:

> Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>
> > A few special cases in CCTS mapping do not obviate the need for a
> > generic mapping TN that covers most domain specific mapping and 90%+
> > of CCTS.
> > What is the downside of doing a generic mapping document as you see it?
> >
> The downside is that there are dependencies on the storage for what must
> be serialized on the wire.  If that information is not stored as per the
> generic mapping, then the whole mechanism may not work.  Each artifact
> has different requirements for what must be serialized on the wire.
> BIE's need to know what CC they came from, they also need to know the
> contexts (UUID for a set of contexts) that lead to their existence,
> CC's  do not need to know the BIE's spawned from them, yet do need to
> know there are BIE's and provide a mechanism (Classification tree?) for
> others to locate the BIE for a specific set of contexts.
>
> The set of contexts is also another huge problem.  There may be 8-10
> million.  One BIE may be used for a range of contexts (example - all
> french speaking countries and regions).  Just creating that many
> classifications will crash most registry implementations I know of or
> make them unmanageably slow.

If you mean that each French-speaking country and region would have to
be involved in an association, this can perhaps be alleviated by using a
hierarchy for Geopolitical Context that groups accordingly. In CCTS
2.01, the example on p.60 states "If the Geopolitical Context has a
value of Anywhere in the European Union,..." in which case there can be
a single association rather than an association to each EU country.
Duane, were you still taking this into account in your example above?
That is, were you assuming that groupings would exist? Or were you
assuming that they would not exist, and that an association would need
to be made to each country (in this case)?

Cheers,
Joe