Subject: Cataloguing "foreign" content (was: Re: [regrep] FW: IECM StandardsProposal)

Matthew MacKenzie wrote:

> I don't agree that ebXML Registry should be compared directly to
> content management solutions unless the messaging around such a
> comparison is that  ebXML Registry forms a lightweight content
> management solution.
>
> Of course, some people have implemented ebXML Registry solutions that
> are capable of handling the same volume of data that content management
> solutions do, I just don't think that we should be departing from the
> pure registry concept.  It serves us better if users/customers
> understand that a registry doesn't need to own all of its content.
>
> -Matt

In the geospatial domain we deal with vast collections of
remotely-sensed images (satellite images, aerial photos, etc.). In OGC
testbeds we have been employing ebRIM-based catalogues much as Matt
suggests, cataloguing such holdings for discovery purposes and
sometimes even including low-resolution images to complement other
image metadata. In such cases, an associated ExternalLink indicates
that the content resides in a third-party repository and provides access
info if it's readily available.

--
Richard Martell         Public PGP key: <http://www.galdosinc.com/pgp/>
Galdos Systems, Inc.      tel: +1 604-484-2765  |  fax: +1 604-484-2755

Opinions, conclusions, recommendations, and other information presented
in this message are not given or necessarily endorsed by my employer or
firm. If the digital signature is invalid, I did not send this message.