Subject: RE: [regrep] Draft abstract for OASIS Symposium submission - please review!

Please see comments in the e-mail below, marked with [JMC]. Here is also
some additional feedback:

(1) COMMENT PERTAINS TO: "New technologies enable us to create and use
dynamic information through the web, including XML (eXtensible Markup
Language) Schemas, DTDs (Document Type Definitions), Core Components,
and Web Services."

COMMENT: I think we can have a stronger, more event-focused opening
statement here:

- Recommend we start by emphasizing the high value of electronic
business vocabularies (or whatever terms we want to use in front of
"vocabularies"), as they ensure a greater degree of interoperability
between business partners and enable reuse of information artifacts on a
grand scale.
- Then follow with the notion of the need to manage the artifacts that
comprise a vocabulary, and make them discoverable and available (please
pick which word you like of the 2) to developers at design-time, and
interacting business partners at run-time.
- Then follow with the questions you already have ("How do we discover
and share these assets...", etc.)

(2) COMMENT PERTAINS TO: "Where can we discover assets to be used in our
applications so that we can..."

COMMENT: Make this first in the list of questions (since it is very
descriptive), and incorporate the notion of vocabularies.

(3) COMMENT PERTAINS TO: "including XML elements, XML schemas, DTDs,
core components and other assets..."

COMMENT: Include Web Services in list

(4) COMMENT PERTAINS TO: "An ebXML registry provides a resource for
describing, discovering  and using information assets that enable
electronic business and application integration."

COMMENT: This is highly duplicative of the immediately preceding
sentence. This is highly duplicative of the immediately preceding
sentence. Recommend harmonizing the 2 sentences, or choosing one over
the other.

(5) COMMENT PERTAINS TO: "The advantage of using XML objects and
resources can only be realized if they are registered and accessible for
discovery and use.  Finding and using these electronic assets is
critical in a global environment where business is conducted
electronically."

COMMENT: This is such an excellent point, that it should be moved higher
up, to the first paragraph.

Now, please read on for comments in e-mail below marked with [JMC].

Cheers,
Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

[JMC] +1

> Breininger, Kathryn R wrote:
>
> >Should the abstract include something related to using a registry to
> >manage a vocabulary, or registering vocabulary mappings, and
> do we have
> >any implementation examples of this?
> >
> I think it should include that and all other use cases we are
> aware of.
>
> I believe Digital Artefacts may have some deployments
> involving vocabulary management.
> Copying Diego in case he can provide some input.
>
> >Should there be more emphasis in
> >the abstract on the sharing of information between entities
> and how an
> >ebXML registry enables this?
> >

> I think so. Our cooperating registry feature enables this
> very well and was key to UN/CEFACT ICG and others adopting
> ebXML Registry.

[JMC] An additional aspect would be in absence of the cooperating
registries feature (i.e. pretend for a second that it did not exist),
and the *collaboration* that the registry enables between developers and
other types of users. I've emphasized the word collaboration because I
noted that this word was absent from the abstract, and I believe it
should be present.

End of [JMC] comments.