Subject: Re: [regrep] Final draft recommendations for CC's and Registry -UML/UMM Profile for CCTS

Duanne,

> The problem is not about representing them so a human can read them,
> it is about representing them so both a machine and a human can parse
> them.

This has never been the problem of concern. UML technologies offers both
machine and human interpretable mechanism. Machine through a MOF
rendering using XMI and diagram rendering DiagramInterchange using XMI

> A machine cannot parse the internal structure of a *.jpg diagram.

Im not sure how jpg fits into all this ?

> If a UML approach is taken, the on the wire serialization would have
> to be something with structure like XMI, SVG or some other *.XML
> format that can be rendered as UML.

Yep this is true. The UML profile for CCTS uses MOF(UML X) + XMI. The
tool used to develop this profile is based on MOF model of UML 1.4 and
XMI 1.2.

> The question to ask is:
>
> "If I request a core component or a BIE from a registry, what do I get
> back?"
>
> Anyways, this document is written as input to CEFACT and I think at
> this point, we want to approve it as "one way" to approach the
> solution.  It is non normative and up to CEFACT to determine if this
> approach has any merit.  We have successfully demonstrated it for
> machine automated assembly and deriviation of BIE's from a set of
> bound core components and a context declaration statement.  No one
> else has done that yet to my knowledge.

This is also true if one stores CCTS in a UML model using something like
the presented UML profile for CCTS and the storage format is XMI.

The advantage of using UML is that there are tool vendors already out
there and the steps for creating/transforming UML Classes into java, C#,
SQL is well undestood and implemented in many, many tools already.

thanks
/anders

> Anders W. Tell wrote:
>
>> Dear  Kathryn,
>>
>> Im not sure if this may be of interest but Toolsmiths is in the
>> process of creating a UML/UMM Profile for CCTS 2.01. This profile is
>> also being contributed to UN/CEFACT. TMG for its UMM work.
>>
>> <http://www.toolsmiths.se/uncefact/ummx/ummx.html>
>> <http://www.toolsmiths.se/uncefact/ummx/umm_x_ccts/umm_x_ccts.html>
>> <http://www.toolsmiths.se/uncefact/ummx/umm_x_ccts/CCTS_v201_stereotypes_0.7.9_draft.jpg>
>>

>> The published version is 0.7.9 and new version is being updated based
>> on discussion last week in Detroit.
>> Maybe not so surprisingly it turns out that only few pieces are
>> needed to make UML/M able to capture CCTS semantics. Soon we will
>> have more than 30 CCTS toolsvendors when it possible to store CC, BIE
>> in UML models.
>>
>> thanks
>> /anders
>>
>> Breininger, Kathryn R wrote:
>>
>>> TC members, Please review - we will discuss at the next telecon.
>>>

>>> Kathryn Breininger
>>> Boeing Library Services
>>> 425-965-0182 phone

>>> 2. TC reviews for 2 weeks, sends comments (Conf call Dec 22) 3.