Subject: RE: [regrep] Final draft recommendations for CC's and Registry - UML/UMM Profile for CCTS

Duane,
We already use the XMI format for retrieve CC.
You can find an exemple of that at :
http://194.199.139.28/RepXMLWeb/jsp//consult/viewModel.jsp?tab=export&uuid=urn:uuid:8f3f7702-ba9d-4af7-ae21-9f9e17ddd120

Here the CC are stored in ebRIM format and retrieved in several formats. XMI is one of that.
You can import the XMI version in a UML tool and see the CC class diagram.
Our feel is that machines are ables to parse a format that is a good human rapresentation and work tool.
We think that XMI can be a serialisation and we are working on for submit CC directly to the registry in this format.

Regards,
Ivan

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Anders W. Tell [mailto:anderst@toolsmiths.se]
Envoyé : lundi 13 décembre 2004 19:49
À : Duane Nickull
Cc : Breininger, Kathryn R; ebXML Regrep (ebXML Regrep)

Duane

> I mentioned JPG because that is how you rendered UML in the link you
> sent out.  UML is not bound to any specific mime type for
> serialization.  If you store the stereotypes in *.jpg, I use XMI and
> someone else uses *.png or *.svg, our models will not be
> interchangeable.  If we all agree on one interchange format like XMI,
> then they will.

I store them using in an XML format generated according to XMI 1.2 principles using UML 1.4 meta model, which is basically standard practice for UML tools.

The JPG is only there since its easier to look at the UML notation than look at the underlying XML file.

> One cannot (from an application perspective) store models in UML.
> They are stored in another format that gets rendered as UML.  There is
> a big difference.

UML is not only a notation, it is also a meta model. Diagrams are only views of model elements in a UML model.
So yes you can store UML models in (standardized) machine readable format using XMI princples and a UML meta model. The latest OMG development is that now one can also store (logical) diagrams in XML using the DiagramInterchange meta model.
This paper outlines how to generate SVG from DI models based on (view
of) a UML model.
<http://www.jeckle.de/files/uml2002.pdf>

/anders