Subject: RE: [regrep] Proposed changes to ebMS Binding and HTTP Binding

Your interop may have shown that X & Y work, but what it did not show was
why and who would actually do that.

As Farrukh says, we can do all this with SOAP.  Why bother complicating it
with extra bindings and extra requirements for us to maintain said binding?

My suggestion to Farrukh when we chatted about removing the ebMS binding was
to at some point provide the option of plugging in WS-Reliability to the
SOAP binding.  In reality, this brings ebRR pretty darn close to ebMS3 in a
much more elegant fashion than requiring a full MSH. That is all a registry
client would really need. Customer demand for asynchronous searching has
always been a bit soft :-)  It only makes sense if you were implementing
your own distributed search over non-federated registries.

-Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 12:10 PM
To: Duane Nickull; Farrukh Najmi
Cc: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Farrukh,

The ebMS support was there for historical reasons.

As we have shown in the XML2004 Interop - using
ebMS and Registry together with the http-binding works
beautifully to provide integration with ebMS and Registry
services and enterprise level messaging delivery controlled
by CPA.

Perhaps we can add a diagram showing this use case
as a way to illustrate using ebMS with Registry in future
and explain why a direct interface to registry is therefore
redundant.  There's some sample diagrams in the
Interop PPT that could be adapted for this.

Persons wanting to route registry content thru ebMS
can obviously place content directly onto an ebMS
server outbound queue for delivery that way - such
as output from registry an event handler(s).

One question though - what about large federated
queries that are possibly asynchronous?  Is there still
a case for sending these via the more formal mechanisms
that ebMS provides?    The use case above though I think
could be extended through a query handler to provide
support for this too...

Thanks, DW