Subject: RE: [regrep] [Draft] Statement of relationship with other standards

I would like to recommend that we also include information regarding how the 2 registry standards can be used together in a complementary manner, as described in 2 articles that I had published in April 2003 and September 2003 respectively:

Speaking for the US federal government space, this type of information would be extremely valuable as there is much confusion within that space regarding UDDI vs. ebXML Registry that can be clarified further by including this type of information (i.e. in addition to the information below). Also, there is a high probability that in the future the US federal government space could see UDDI and ebXML registries interacting with one another.

If anyone believes this is not a good idea, please express concrete reasons as to why it would not be.

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton

From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:27 AM
To: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Dear colleagues,

Here is the revised text based on Monica's excellent suggestions for your convenience. I have incorporated almost all her suggestions with the exception of thos noted in my previous response to her message. Please comment on this revised version that follows...

As Kathryn mentioned, in order to submit our specs for OASIS standardization process next week we need
a statement of relationship of our specs with other standards. Per my ACTION from previous meetings I am
providing the draft text below.

Please share comments on this thread. Thanks.

<draft text>

[3.] A statement regarding the relationship of this specification to similar work of other OASIS TCs or other standards developing organizations.

The OASIS ebXML Registry 3.0 specifications are aligned with a variety of other OASIS standards as described below.
  • The OASIS Web Services Security: SOAP Message Security 1.0 specification is used to  provide Message Security for the Registry protocol.
  • The OASIS Web Services Security: SOAP Message with Attachments (SwA) Profile 1.0 specification is used to  provide Message Security for SOAP attachments within the Registry protocol.
  • The OASIS XACML 1.0 specification is used to define the syntax for registry Access Control Policies.
  • The OASIS SAML 2.0 specifications are used to support Federated Identity Management and Single Sign On within the registry
The OASIS ebXML Registry 3.0 specifications have some similarities with the OASIS UDDI 3.0 standard in that both specifications define a registry standard.
Both specifications define a registry that is a web service. Both specifications define a registry that may be used as a registry for web services.
The two specifications have been independently developed and neither specifications uses the other as a dependency.

Limited similarities exist between the OASIS ebXML Registry 3.0 and OASIS UDDI 3.0.
Both specifications define a registry for web services and a registry exposed as a web service.
No explicit dependencies exist between the two OASIS specification efforts. UDDI 3.0 specifies a registry only,
while ebXML Registry 3.0 specifies both a registry and a repository. Other unique and value-added features of OASIS ebXML Registry 3.0 include:
  • Custom domain specific artifact discovery queries using SQL-92 and XML Filter Query syntax
  • Parameterized registry-resident (stored) queries
  • Life cycle management and artifact governance including automatic version control
  • Content based event notification using domain specific queries
  • User-defined, domain specific, taxonomies
  • Domain specific custom relationships between artifacts
  • Ability to group related artifacts in packages
  • Automatic content specific content validation and cataloging
  • Federated queries across multiple registries
  • Linking artifacts across registries
  • Federated identity and single sign on support based on SAML v2.0
  • HTTP Binding to registry protocol
  • Extensible API and protocol

</draft text>

BTW, I would like to also include features in UDDI 3.0 that are not provided by ebXML Registry 3.0. My reading of the UDDI 3.0 specs
returned no such candidate items. Paul since you are a member of UDDI TC could you take an ACTION to provide us with a list of UDDI 3.0 features
that ebXML Registry 3.0 does not support? It would be good to state the features in terms of end user relevant functionality rather than something like
"UDDI has tModels and ebXML Registry does not". Thanks in advance for your help.