Subject: [Proposed Resolution] Re: [regrep-comment] Public Comment

Below is my proposed resolution to Richard's comment...

Please comment so I can send formal reply. Thanks.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your comment. Please see our response inline below....

comment-form@oasis-open.org wrote:
Comment from: rmartell@galdosinc.com

[ADVISORY] Use of the term "Provenance"

---------------------------------------

The term "provenance" does not seem apt in Section 5.

In the Dublin Core element set, provenance is defined as "A statement of any changes in ownership and custody of the resource since its creation that are significant for its authenticity, integrity and interpretation."

The term "provenance" is described in Webster Online Dictionary as:

1 : ORIGIN, SOURCE
2 : the history of ownership of a valued object or work of art or literature

http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=provenance&x=0&y=0

<http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#provenance>

So while these classes can be used to infer lineage through an audit trail, by themselves they are insufficient.

The Provenance Information Model classes allow associating a Person or an Organization with a RegistryObject to enable describing the original source or the current responsible party. The ebRIM spec says:

"
5 Provenance Information Model
This chapter describes the classes that enable the description of
the parties responsible for creating, publishing, or maintaining a RegistryObject or RepositoryItem. This
includes information about:
• The registered user that is the submitter of a RegistryObject or RepositoryItem.
• The organization that is the submitter submitted the object on behalf of (Submitting Organization)
• The organization that is responsible for the maintainence of the submitted object (Responsible
Organization)
• Any other persons that have some relationship with the submitted object
"

We suggest just replacing every occurrence of "Provenance" with "Responsible Party".

The Provenance Information Model classes classes play a broader role than simply defining the "Responsible Party".
As shown in quoted text above, they can represent the submitting party as well any other user-defined provenance relationship
(e.g. ReviewerOf, ApproverOf etc.)

Also, substitute this text on p.15:

"Responsible Parties Information Model: Defines classes that provide information about the users and organizations that are in some manner responsible for a RegistryObject (creation, submission, maintenance, etc.)."

After careful consideration of your comment, we feel that the role played by the Provenance Information Model classes fits the dictionary definition in the English language for the term Provenance. We will therefor not make any change to the specs in response. Thank you for your valuable suggestion.