Subject: RE: [regrep] What is an ebXML Registry

I agree.  An ebXML Registry could register any number of types of
information assets, but it has a strong use case in the functionality
and features that enable electronic business, which other types of
registries do not.  Granted that has not taken off as quickly as hoped.
As noted already, folks are finding multiple uses for an ebXML registry;
however we should not lose sight of that original intent.  My concern is
with confusing potential users by multiple (what may appear as
conflicting) descriptions of what an ebXML registry is.  Makes sense to
present as having a strong primary use case, with multiple other use
cases that can also be supported.

From: Matthew MacKenzie [mailto:mattm@adobe.com]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 6:43 AM
To: Farrukh Najmi
Cc: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org

Farrukh,

The reason I started this thread was because I have been harbouring a
growing concern over our direction.  I more or less agree with your
description, but I would like to differentiate what an ebxml registry
does from what an enterprise content management system does.  I think
registry has a lot of value in the area of "meta management" of content,

regardless of its location, and that we should be looking into ways of
cooperating with ECM systems.

Thanks,
Matt