Subject: Re: [regrep] Whence ebXML Registry?

John Gillerman wrote:
Farrukh,

I think that they are looking for an alarming web service not a web service
infrastructure.
I understand this better now. Thanks.
To my knowledge ebXML does not define a model for alarm
management.
Well it does, sort of...

ebXML Registry provides an Event Notification service which can be used to deliver notifications of
content and metadata changes in the registry to an automated web service via SOAP or to a human
via email. This was demonstrated in an Emergency Management scenario:

Presumably, once the alarming services is defined the service
would be registered in an ebXML registry and the semantics of what a
specific alarm means (the ontology related to the network of sensors) could
be store in a semantically enabled ebXML registry as well.
+1
However, given
the complexity of the ontology related to a sensor network, it's description
would best be accomplished via a OWL enabled registry.

As you are probably already aware, ebXML Registry is already being used for storing OWL ontologies:

[12] ebXML Registry and Semantic Content Management papers
Date:           October 2004
Author/s:     Asuman Dogac, Gokce B. Laleci, Yildiray Kabak, Seda Unal, Thomas Beale, Sam Heard, Peter Elkin, Farrukh Najmi, Carl Mattocks, David Webber
title:             Exploiting ebXML Registry Semantic Constructs for Handling Archetype Metadata in Healthcare Informatics
venue:         International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies (IJMSO) by Inderscience Publishers.
link:            http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/webpage/projects/artemis/publications/IJMSO.pdf