Subject: [Joe's Comments, Part 3 - Web Services Profile] RE: [regrep] RE: ACTION ITEM

Here is my final set of comments for today's deadline. My review left off at line 1048 (I regret that I could not cover the entire draft in the timeframe allotted), so I will pick up reviewing from there when our next version is issued (and then start back at the top).

Farrukh: If you would like me to continue where I left off rather than waiting for the next draft, please let me know (I'd be happy to).

Joe

Comments:

Chapter 8 (general): Recommend adding text at the top of this section that describes what this section is about. For example, “This section will describe a standard mechanism by which WSDL content (i.e. information contained within a registered WSDL document) that is registered within ebXML Registry through the means described earlier can be discovered using ebXML Registry’s query capabilities.”.

Line 1017: Misspelled “Registry”.

Line 1017, “provides the ability for a user defined parameterized queries”: Either change “for a user” to “for user”, or “queries” to “query”.

Line 1017, after “for each type of content”: Recommend citing some brief examples here (“For example, ebXML CPPA, UBL business documents, and WSDL documents.”).

Lines 1020-1021, after “simply providing their parameters”: Recommend citing the place in our ebRS spec where we show an example of submission of a parameterized stored query (should be section 6.3.1). Such citations may also be valuable in other places in this spec (perhaps worth identifying these places).

Line 1025: Add a simply introductory line for the figure (“An example of this is shown in the figure below.”).

Line 1032: Not sure whether this line is an instruction to the reader, or a reminder to one of the editors of this spec. If the former, I recommend striking it as I don’t believe that it’s necessary to remind the reader of the information in chapter 2 (they can make the association themselves once they see the concepts in this section).

Lines 1033-1034, “based on search criteria that predicates upon attributes of the type of object being discovered as well.”: This doesn’t seem to make sense (is a word missing? Or should we substitute “queries” for “predicates”?). In any event, making the update suggested earlier called “Chapter 8 (general)” may obviate the need for the text on lines 1033-1035.

Lines 1033-1034, references to “higher level objects” and “lower level objects”: This is the first time in this spec that we refer to these terms. Recommend that we define them earlier, if they are important to retain. My understanding is that for WSDL, a higher level object would be the “master” RegistryObject that represents the WSDL document as a whole, and that contains associations to each of the 3 parts of the WSDL document (each of which would be a lower-level object): interfaces, bindings, and services.

Line 1036: It appears that we are contrasting discovery vs. drill-down here - recommend stating that earlier, perhaps around line 1031 or earlier. We should also refer to both of these (discovery and drill-down) as two mechanisms for doing something, so that their association is clear. Perhaps we can say that they are 2 mechanisms of discovery - in which case we would need to change the name of “discovery” to something more specific, perhaps “general discovery” or “ad-hoc discovery”. This would tie the contents of this chapter together more cohesively.

Line 1036: Come to think of it, the last time I recall seeing the term “drill-down” in an ebXML Registry spec was (I believe) version 2.6. If my understand is indeed correct, should we re-introduce this concept here in the spec if it is not in our primary specs? (ebRIM and ebRS)

Line 1042: Here we state that “The queries defined in this chapter are therefore focused on discovery rather than drill-down.”.  Recommend we say this earlier in this chapter - right after the text that is recommended for line 1036 above.

Line 1044: What do we mean by “discoverable type”? Perhaps it might be better to say “discoverable part”, so as not to be confused with WSDL types.

Lines 1044 “Each query may be” to line 1047: This was already stated earlier (lines 1018-1021)

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton