Subject: Re: RE : [regrep] Post-holiday registry riddle

BEDINI Ivan RD-BIZZ-CAE wrote:
> May be that my majors concerns are about what is intended by runtime and designtime phases in e-business and what is considered be a part of a phase.
> Generally runtime describes the operation of a computer program, the duration of its execution, from beginning to termination. In the e-business context, runtime cover the execution time of business exchanges from beginning to termination => BP execution, messages exchange.
> The e-business designtime cover all the rest => establishment of agreement, discovery, data modelisation, BP definition and system configuration.
>
> Is my interpretation correct?

Seems ok as long as run time covers the execution life of any registry
client application. Otherwise it is a bit restrictive.
> By this point of view the registry could be:
> 1. just a design time tool but
> 2. if we consider all *systems* participating to the execution time then the registry (that for example could be queried by an ebMS system to obtain a CPA for configuring the message handler while executing a BP) is a design and run time tool.
>
> What is right for you?

For the last several years I have tried to clear the mis-conception that
ebXML Registry is only for design time [6]. In my epxerience as I have
stated earlier I see more usage of it at run time than at design time.
The classic / original vision of ebXML Registry was was design time
focused but original visions are often not as 20/20 as hindsight is.

Lets consider a real examples. IHE XDS uses ebXML Registry for patient
record management. The client apps could be used by doctors to look at
or update the patient record. Is that a design time use or a run time
use? It is clearly run-time use.

Another technique I use is that when in doubt ask the same question
withe the wor "database" substituted for "ebXML Registry".
Most of the the time you will get the right answer. So - are databases
only good for design time? Clearly not? Q.E.D :-)

I hope we as a TC can collectively work to dispell this popular
misconception. Thanks.

[6] Web Content Management using ebXML Registry (XML Europe 2004):

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/xmlEurope2004-webcm-ebxmlrr.ppt
(presentation in ppt format)
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/xmlEurope2004-webcm-ebxmlrr.sxi
(presentation in Open Office format)