Subject: FW: [chairs] Announcing Beta SVN Service for OASIS TCs

 Another tool OASIS is providing for us!  Please review this e-mail.
This is only for transient work in progress.

Kathryn Breininger
Boeing Library Services

From: Scott McGrath [mailto:scott.mcgrath@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:29 AM
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

Chairs,

Below is a message from Greg Rundlett, our new Manager of Technology
Services, who is making things happen for you.  I am pleased to make
this announcement and happy to defer any technical discussion to Greg.
His contact info is at the bottom of this message.

Thanks,

Scott...

----------------------------

for technical drafts, OASIS is running a Subversion ("SVN") v1.1.4
service available at the URIs listed below.

PURPOSE This server is available as a convenience for authors and
editors. In its beta state, it is not being indexed or advertised as an
official repository for OASIS Technical Committee documents, so this
server should be used only for transient works in progress:
specification drafts, contributions and similar material under
consideration by a TC should be kept on, or uploaded to, the
conventional servers (the Kavi database repository or
/docs.oasis-open.org/).

ACCESS Write-access on our SVN beta server is limited to members with
OASIS member accounts. However, in its beta state, this tool does NOT
stamp each upload or edit with an authenticated token of the identity of
the account holder. Authors should annotate contributed material with
their identity, as appropriate. Read access to the CURRENT version of a
set of associated versions (see VERSIONING) is available to the public
via any web browser, at the principal URI for that document set (see
PUBLIC ACCESS). Read access to PRIOR versions within that set requires
the use of a SVN client (see SVN CLIENTS).

-------------------

VERSIONING (Excerpted from "Version Control with Subversion", Chapter 1)
Subversion is a free/open-source version control system. That is,
Subversion manages files and directories over time. A tree of files is
placed into a central repository. The repository is much like an
ordinary file server, except that it remembers every change ever made to
your files and directories. This allows you to recover older versions of
your data, or examine the history of how your data changed. In this
regard, many people think of a version control system as a sort of "time
machine".

Subversion can access its repository across networks, which allows it to
be used by people on different computers. At some level, the ability for
various people to modify and manage the same set of data from their
respective locations fosters collaboration. Progress can occur more
quickly without a single conduit through which all modifications must
occur. And because the work is versioned, you need not fear that quality
is the trade-off for losing that conduit if some incorrect change is
made to the data, just undo that change.

For more information, see:

Version Control with Subversion - the canonical Subversion
documentation.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

The Subversion project homepage

http://subversion.tigris.org/

Semi-official Subversion community forums

http://www.svnforum.org/

PUBLIC ACCESS The simplest way to access an OASIS Subversion repository
is via your web browser. Subversion provides (read-only) access to the
latest versions of files it stores via plain, ordinary http. You can
point your browser at

http://cvs.oasis-open.org/svn/[tc-name]/

using the appropriate TC's short name (main e-mail list name), such as
"fwsi", "ebxml-msg", "ws-tx" or "xacml", and you will see a listing of
the files in the repository. Please note: because the service is in
beta, we have NOT established any repositories. To establish a
repository for your TC, please make a request to support@oasis-open.org.

SVN CLIENTS If you'd like to do more - add files, compare revisions,
etc... you'll need to useSubversion client software. Clients are freely
available for most platforms, and range from the basic, but functional
CLI client included with SVN itself, to full GUI clients. The following
is a list of some of the free clients that are available. It is by no
means an exhaustive listing.

All platforms: SVN CLI client: http://subversion.tigris.org/

Multiplatform: RapidSVN: http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/

Windows: TortoiseSVN: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Mac: SVN client binaries from Martin Ott:
http://www.codingmonkeys.de/mbo/

Editors and IDEs known to have integrated SVN support (Warning: Most
(but not all) of these are commercial apps):

Multiplatform: Subclipse (Eclipse IDE plugin):
http://subclipse.tigris.org/

Windows/Mac: Zend Studio 5:
http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-studio/

Mac: BBEdit (limited support, still need client for initial checkout):
http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

Checking out a working copy

---------------------------

The exact details of checking out a working copy from the repository
will differ from client to client. Consult your client's documentation
for the exact procedure. Regardless of the client you use, you will need
to provide three pieces of information. The location of the repository,
a username and a password. For OASIS SVN repositories, the repository
location will be the same as if you were visiting it with a browser:

http://cvs.oasis-open.org/svn/[tc-name]/

Note that if you just want to check out a piece of the repository, you
can provide a subpath:

http://cvs.oasis-open.org/svn/[tc-name]/some/subpath/

This is very useful for checking out branches/tags/etc. You will be
prompted for a username and password. Use the same username/password
that you use for Kavi. You must have membership in the relevant group in
order to perform checkout/checkin operations. If successful, you should
have a working copy on your system, ready for you to work with.

Working with your working copy is covered in depth in Chapter 3 of
"Version Control with Subversion". Once again, the exact details of each
operation will differ from client to client. The basic commands should
remain the same, however your client implements them.

* You issue the 'status' command to check the status of your working
copy.

* You issue the 'update' command to bring your working copy current with
the repository.

* You issue the 'diff' command to see changes between your working copy
and the previous revision.

* You issue the 'commit' command to check changed files back into the
repository. This will usually ask for a required "commit comment", which
should be a summary of changes made in this commit. In the beta phase,
you should also include an identifier (name, email address, etc...) in
this comment. (See CAUTIONS for details.)

That should be enough to get you started with Subversion. We suggest
that you also read the documentation available in "Version Control with
Subversion" .

CAUTIONS

As we're currently in a beta state, some aspects of the system aren't
yet fully active. We ask that you bear with us as we do intend to
resolve these issues before the final rollout.

We have not yet tied the OASIS member database authentication system to
the SVN system, so SVN in beta does not receive an account username, and
thus all commits appear to come from "no author". Until this is
resolved, a workaround would be to place an identifier (email address,
name, etc...) in the commit comment.

We welcome your feedback. Please direct any questions about the
technical operation of the service to our Technology Services manager,
Greg Rundlett and his staff via our support address,
support@oasis-open.org copied here. Please direct any questions about
proper use of the service to our standards development staff at
tc-admin@oasis-open.org <mailto:tc-admin@oasis-open.org>.

Thanks for your help in identifying the functions the consortium should
support, as we continue to build out a more robust set of features.

Greg Rundlett

Manager

Technology Services

OASIS