Subject: [Fwd: Heads up and comments on the DDR]

Anyone plugged into this? If so, you may want to explore use of ebXML
Registry and Repository here.

--- Begin Message ---
No, I am not talking about the defunct East Germany but about the
following document:

Device Description Repository Requirement 1.0 (WD)
http://www.w3.org/TR/DDR-requirements

This document comes from the Mobile Web Initiative (MWI), Device
Description Working Group[1]. The general goal of this group is to
define the functionality of a device description database, where the
characteristics of mobile devices (screen space, keyboard or no
keyboard, etc) can be stored and retrieved. Such a database could be
used by content providers who could adapt their content to particular
devices; having an independent body managing such a database would be of
a great value for the mobile community at large.

The Mobile people already have a tradition of using RDF for such
purposes, see CC/PP[2] or UAProf[3], for example. It would be therefore
nice if, in future, such database would be or at least could be
implemented using a current or future version of SPARQL.

The SW Coordination Group had a brief discussion on this issue, hence
this mail to the DAWG group. We were wondering whether it would it be
possible for the group to have a look at this document to see if the DDR
could be a possible use case for current or future version of SPARQL? If
necessary, I am happy to collect and compile all comments.

Sincerely,

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/DDWG/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-CCPP-struct-vocab-20040115/