Subject: RE: [regrep] Aligning with Web Services Notification (WSN)

Farrukh,

Hmmmm - the only caveat I see is B2B notifications?

Although - I assume you are thinking this is transport option driven - so people could pick delivery via channels - ws, ebxml, smtp, and so on?

We just need to think through how this covers off all our use cases - but overall - I concur with the notion that less is more in terms of leveraging work when we can.

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [regrep] [regrep4] Align susbcription/notification with Web
Services Notification (WSN)
From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, September 14, 2007 3:04 pm
To: ebXML Regrep <regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>

Team,

The WSN specs:

<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsn#technical>

are now approved as OASIS standard.

I would like to propose that we align the subscription/notification
feature in RegRep 4 with these specs. The changes would have the
following high level implications:

* Eliminate several types and elements defined in rim.xsd
* Eliminate NotificationListener*.wsdl files
* RegRep implementations would need to implement or otherwise
provide the following interfaces defined in
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsn/bw-2.wsdl>:
o NotificationProducer
o PullPoint
o SubscriptionManager
* RegRep clients wishing to get notified would need to implement the
following interfaces defined in
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsn/bw-2.wsdl>:
o NotificationConsumer

While this is a big change I think it makes sense to align with this
standard because:

* Aligns us with an approved standard
* Reduces our spec content to possibly just profiling WSN specs
* Provides richer more extensible functionality than we currently have

Please share your thoughts on this proposal.

Thank you.