Subject: FW: ISO CD 11179-3 Ed3 ("Metadata Registry Metamodel") is out for ballot

I don't believe anyone in RegReg has been involved in OMG or in the ISO
11179-3 Ed3 revision. Is the discussion below a concern to RegRep? I
don't think so, but wanted to check with all of you.

Kathryn Breininger
Boeing Library Services

From: Ed Barkmeyer [mailto:edbark@nist.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:07 PM
To: OMG ADPTF; Business Modeling & Integration DTF; iso11179@omg.org
Subject: ISO CD 11179-3 Ed3 ("Metadata Registry Metamodel") is out for
ballot

All,

This is an alert.  The new Metadata Registry Metamodel standard appears
to overlap assorted OMG work with no effort at alignment.

ISO 11179 Ed2 (2004) is a standard for the management of registries of
"data elements": terms and codes.  It is mandated for use by ISO
"registration authorities" for things like language codes and country
codes, and by other authorities for things like standard metropolitan
sampling areas, medical diagnostic and treatment codes, labor
classifications, and the like.  Aside from being a useful model of the
distinction between the semantic objects and the representations, the
primary strength of ISO 11179:2004 is the capture of "Lifecycle and
Versioning" information -- provenance, effectivity, and responsibility
-- for the individual data elements.

The purpose and scope of the newly revised specification, ISO
11179 Ed3, now out for ballot, is less clear.  The scope has been
extended to managing "terminologies" and basic modeling elements:
classes, attributes, relationships, and so on, and to managing
"classification systems" and "ontologies".  The intent appears to be to
apply the lifecycle and versioning concepts to vocabularies and modeling
concepts.

But in this new area, the specification does not even mention ISO
19502 (MOF), or ISO 19763 (Framework for Metamodel Interoperability),
which was closely worked with OMG, even though both of these standards
were progressed through the same ISO committee (JTC1/SC32).  This new
specification overlaps with OMG work in the area of MOF Lifecycle and
Versioning, and possibly with SBVR.  That is why Hajime Horiuchi (OMG
Liaison to
JTC1/SC32) and I are bringing this draft specification to your
attention.

The current committee draft of the ISO 11179 registry metamodel, Part 3
of the standard, is now out for ballot in the participating National
Bodies in ISO JTC1/SC32 (Databases and Data interchange).  The registry
metamodel is presented in UML.

The draft specification is available at
   http://www.jtc1sc32.org
   userid=   jtc1sc32
   password= openedi
The document number is N1667T:
   Click on "Document Library", then on "N1651-N1700 folder",
   then on "32N1667T-text for CD11179-3.pdf"

OMG experts are encouraged to send their comments to their National Body
group that is responsible for review and ballot on this specification in
their respective countries*.

In addition, the Liaison Committee agreed at the Jacksonville meeting to
collect any and all OMG expert comments on a new exploder:
   iso11179@omg.org
and to formally present them to JTC1/SC32 as expert contributions to be
considered when editing the specification.  Like OMG Issues, these
comments can address any technical aspect of the specification,
including scope and conformance, and also its relationship to other
national and international standards.
The ballot closes on November 19.  So we intend to gather up all
comments received by November 13 and send them forward.

OMG could take a formal position on this draft ISO standard by TC ballot
at the December meeting, and we can discuss that once we have comments
in hand.  OMG does not VOTE on the specification; only the national body
organizations do.

For the OMG Liaison committee,
- Ed Barkmeyer, NIST

P.S. I made a brief presentation on this at the Jacksonville ADPTF
meeting.  The text above is a summary of that presentation.

* The SC32 website does not provide either identification or
contact information for the participating National Body
organizations.
   The U.S. "TAG" is INCITS L8, which was the primary developing
body.  There are corresponding groups in AFNOR, BSI, DIN, JSA,
NNI, etc.  You can find out how to contact your national body
from the Secretariat:

Dr. Timothy SCHOECHLE
Telephone: +1 303 443 5490
E-mail: sc32-sec@jtc1sc32.org

--
Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: edbark@nist.gov
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694