Subject: Re: [regrep] FW: ISO CD 11179-3 Ed3 ("Metadata Registry Metamodel") is out for ballot

Kathryn Breininger wrote:

>I don't believe anyone in RegReg has been involved in OMG or in the ISO
>11179-3 Ed3 revision. Is the discussion below a concern to RegRep? I
>don't think so, but wanted to check with all of you.

Actually, I am active in OMG, but not in RegRep.  To your question though:
Edition 3 does to the MDR metamodel what we had talked about doing to the
ebRIM to enable an ebRegRep to support general semantic content management.
It generalizes their underlying metamodel which used to support data elements,
to now also support object models like those based on UML and MOF and
semantic models expressed in a variety of languages.  ebRIM can already support
storing object model content, and with the OWL Profile it's been shown to
support a significant subset of the OWL language as well.

I don't know how you folks position the ebRegRep with respect to ISO 11179.
Edition 3 of 11179part3 brings more overlap between the two specs, but I
have a feeling that there are more important differentiators than the kind
of content each can support.

-Evan

Evan K. Wallace  - OMG Ontology PSIG co-chair and W3C Web Ontology Language working group member
NIST