Subject: [Ebxmlrr-tech] [RegReg4] Type substitution on RegistryObjectListType

Farrukh Najmi wrote:
> Nikola and I have created the following wiki page for RegRep4 slot
> related enhancements:
>
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/slots>
>
> Most of the identified issues have proposed solutions that are simple
> changes to RegRep 3. Please share your thoughts.

BTW, We are considering a similar change to RegistryObjectListType to
use type subsitution
for RegistryObjectType hierarchy. This would mean that XML instance docs
that used to look lik

<rim:RegistryObjectList>
   <rim:Organization>
   </rim:Organization>
</rim:RegistryObjectList>

Would in RIM 4 look like:

<rim:RegistryObjectList>
   <rim:RegistryObject xsi:type="rim:Organization">
   </rim:RegistryObject>
</rim:RegistryObjectList>

The reasons are that type substitution is far more OO while element
substitution is an unnatural act.
For implementors type substitution is much preferred in my experience
over element substitution.

The only down side is a little less obvious XML and the lack of backward
compatibility.
To mitigate that, we expect to provide XSLT style sheets to aid in
migration of older files from RegRep 3.

Does any one have any thoughts or concerns on this proposal?

Farrukh Najmi