Subject: Re: [regrep] [regrep4 feature] Slot Definition and Validation

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>> This topic is on the agenda for our next meeting. I have started
>>> noting down the current issues, requirements and proposed solution
>>> at the following wiki page:
>>>
>>> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/slots>
>>>
>>> The current proposal is somewhat abstract (no concrete schemas or
>>> instances shown). This is because I need some input on the 3
>>> alternatives at bottom of page for "Attribute Definition Binding".
>>> Please take a look, ask questions and share your thoughts. Thanks.
>>>

>> Having discussed this with Nikola I find option (1) at bottom of
>> wiki, best for Attribute Definition Binding.
>> I have updated the wiki page with my rationale. Nikola likes option 2
>> better. We need more thoughtful input soon
>> so I can finish off the proposal. Please have some discussion on list
>> prior to our next meeting. Thanks.
>>

> I have updated bottom of wiki page with instance document examples for
> both approach (1) and (2) for the same simple use case.
> The main issue when comparing the two for me is that (1) yields
> simpler, more obvious and less verbose instance documents. (2)
> has the advantage that Parameters can be attached via Slots to any
> type of object (a nice feature but one that we do not have a use case
> for at present).
>
> Please share your thoughts on this issue as it is impeding progress
> until resolved. Thanks.

To make the tradeoff even more explicit the listing below shows the pair
of "3 extra lines" in option 2 compared to (1).

The number of extra lines in option 2 is defined by following formula:

numberOfExtraLines = 4 + 2 * numberOfParameter

So for 3 parameters it will add 10 lines. This does not seem so bad. So
now I am torn between (1) and (2) and need additional input.

<rim:ClassificationNode lid="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:ObjectType:RegistryObject:Service" code="Service" id="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:ObjectType:RegistryObject:Service">

    <!-- 3 extra lines -->
    <rim:Slot name="attributeDefs">
        <rim:ValueList>
            <rim:ValueListItem xsi:type="rim:ParameterValueType">

                <rim:Parameter parameterName="serviceType" datatype="taxonomyElement"
                    minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1">
                    <rim:Slot name="domain">
                        <rim:ValueList>
                            <rim:ValueListItem xsi:type="rim:StringValueType">
                                <rim:Value>urn:ogc:def:ebRIM-ClassificationScheme:ISO-19119:2003:Services</rim:Value>
                            </rim:ValueListItem>
                            <rim:ValueListItem xsi:type="rim:StringValueType">
                                <rim:Value>urn:foo:SomeOtherServiceTaxonomy</rim:Value>
                            </rim:ValueListItem>
                        </rim:ValueList>
                    </rim:Slot>
                    <rim:Name>
                        <rim:LocalizedString charset="UTF-8" value="Service Type"/>
                    </rim:Name>
                    <rim:Description>
                        <rim:LocalizedString charset="UTF-8" value="The type of service"/>
                    </rim:Description>
                </rim:Parameter>

            <!--3 extra lines-->
            </rim:ValueListItem>
        </rim:ValueList>
    </rim:Slot>

    <rim:Name>
        <rim:LocalizedString charset="UTF-8" value="Service"/>
    </rim:Name>
    <rim:Description>
        <rim:LocalizedString charset="UTF-8" value="Service.desc"/>
    </rim:Description>
</rim:ClassificationNode>

Farrukh Najmi