Subject: Re: [regrep] Make ServiceBinding an ExtrinsicObject subtype withindependent lifecycle

As I started implementing the proposed changes in my project I realized
that it is not a good idea to make the 4 new types (Service,
ServiceEndpoint, ServiceBinding and ServiceInterface) be sub-classes of
ExtrinsicObject. The reason is that this mixes up the WSDL objectType
with the objectTypes of the 4 new metadata classes. We need to keep WSDL
as a separate objectType (under ExtrinsicObject). A WSDL ExtrinsicObject
should be associated with any of the 4 Service related metadata classes.
This is best done via a HasWSDL association which should really be
defined within the WSDL Profile for RegRep4. BTW I am working in
parrallel on proposed changes for WSDL Profile and will make it
available for TC review later.

So again I have updated the wiki page such that the 4 classes are no
longer derived from ExtrinsicObject.

BTW, this experience shows the value of implementing proposals as we
define them so that we learn of mis-steps early and take
corrective action. Thanks in advance for your review and feedback.

Lastly, I will be traveling starting tomorrow and will be back in office
on August 8. I will not check email more than once a day in that period.
Thanks.

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> I have updated the wiki page at:
>
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/serviceModel>
>
> to reflect changes proposed by Oliver. I have also added a concrete
> XML Schema for the model.
> One additional change is that Service now composes ServiceEndpoints as
> a ServiceEndpoint is not shared across services.
>
> Please review this revised proposal and provide feedback. Thank you.
>
> Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> Here is the external feedback I received privately from Oliver Newell
>> of MIT Lincoln Labs:
>>
>> "
>> I looked over the proposed Service Model changes for regrep and had a
>> thought on the ServiceBinding
>>
>> From section 2.7.1 of the WSDL 2.0 spec
>>
>> "Conversely, a Binding
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Binding> component which
>> omits any operation-specific binding details and any fault binding
>> details MAY omit specifying an interface. Binding
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Binding> components that do
>> not specify an interface MAY be used to specify operation-independent
>> binding details for Service
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Service> components with
>> different interfaces. That is, such Binding
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Binding> components are
>> reusable across one or more interfaces"
>>
>> I think the idea behind this is be able to specify generic binding
>> mechanisms instead of having to repeat them for every service, as was
>> typically done in WSDL 1.1.  I think the bindings possible contain
>> more information than just 'SOAP' or 'HTTP', but variants of those
>> with different security settings, message exchange patterns, etc..
>> So perhaps bindings do have their own independent lifecyle?  If so, I
>> guess the ServiceEndpoint would have a 'hasBinding' association to an
>> independent ServiceBinding object?
>> "
>>
>> I think The quote from section 2.7.1 is pretty clear in stating that
>> under certain restrictions a Binding may be reused across services.
>> Therefor I agree with Oliver's suggestion that we keep ServiceBinding
>> in RegRep 4 as a separate top level class with its independent
>> lifecycle and relate it to a Service via 'HasBinding" association.
>> Such a class should be derived from ExtrinsicObject (so it can have
>> wsdl attached).
>>
>> TC members please comment on email list. I would like to get approval
>> of this change request via email if possible given that it is so
>> obvious an improvement.
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>>> Dear Colleagues,
>>>
>>> Managing services and data sets produced/consumed by services is a
>>> very important use case for RegRep.
>>>
>>> I have been working on harmonizing various Service Information model
>>> that are dominant today.
>>> The experience suggests that perhaps we should consider improving
> [...]

Farrukh Najmi