Subject: RE: [regrep] RESTful services from JavaFX

Farrukh,

PERFECT!

Yes - I'm seeing we can look and learn from these tools - and how they are using REST - and engineer something that aligns easily - so that people can use these existing tools quickly with registry to put compelling user interfaces in front of our repository capabilities.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, February 04, 2009 2:00 pm
Cc: "regrep@lists.oasis-open.org" <regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>

David RR Webber (XML) wrote:
> http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/40659
>
> Not looked in detail - but thought maybe some useful patterns we could
> "borrow" here for V4....?

Based on what I know JavaFX is a UI technology is the same space as
Adobe Flex, Microsoft Silverlight, Google GWT etc.
We do not specify any UI for regrep specs. As such I am not sure it will
provide direct value. However, implementing
such UI technologies over regrep REST interface provides valuable
insights into requirements for the REST interface.

I suspect that is what above meant.

Lets discuss such new requirements as they emerge.

One that I am facing right now is the requirement that the REST
interface define more explicit rules for format=application/JSON which
provide a mapping from XML to JSON representation as for example
described here:

<http://badgerfish.ning.com/>

Another requirement I have run into is the need for the JSON format to
replace ids in object references with something more GUI friendly like
the name in specified lang if a humanfriendly=true query param is specified.

I will capture these as issues shortly and look forward to input from team.

Thanks.