Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue-99: Need to version parent object without havingto version child objects

Farrukh Najmi wrote:
> (Resend after fixing typo)
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Please discuss your thoughts on this issue and proposed resolution:
>
> <http://wxforge.wx.ll.mit.edu:8080/jira/browse/REGREPTC-99>
>
> This issue is one we need to think extra carefully due to its
> implications.
>
> Issue 100 <http://wxforge.wx.ll.mit.edu:8080/jira/browse/REGREPTC-100>
> is really a very old issue. It will get solved if we solve Issue 99!

David added the following to the issue:

"

I go back to LID again on this.

With a LID - you can subversion on that - so for example

original LID for content and children:  REG-123456

then if something is versioned LID on that - REG-12345.01  etc

Therefore I can always query on the stub REG-123456*  to retrieve all current members and sub-members.

This seems the best way to go - because then you can prune, delete, copy, move etc as needed.

And this is 100% backward compatible because no RIM changes.

"

I am not sure I understand. A parent and its children are all separate
RegistryObjects with their own unique lids so the lid cannot be shared
on them. And since a child has a reference to its parent version, when a
parent is versioned one cannot retain the existing children in the new
version unless children are versioned as well (to reference new version
of parent). The problem is caused by child to parent linkage being part
of the child as opposed to external to the child (as is the case with an
Asociation).

Please let me know if I misunderstand something.

BTW, it would be better for management of issues if we discuss them on
email thread for the issue before addinf a comment to the issue. Thanks.