Subject: Re: [regrep] Discovered numerous broken links in Regrep CS documents

Hi Chet,

We had used the following online link checker before submitting the specs:

http://validator.w3.org/checklink?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.oasis-open.org%2Fregrep%2Fregrep-core%2Fv4.0%2Fcsd02%2Fregrep-core-rs-v4.0-csd02.html&hide_type=all&depth=&check=Check

ACTION: TC Members please review results from links below to double check that there are no other errors:

Most of the errors in the result of the link checker are false positives due to links that from URLs that were used in examples and were never meant to be anything more than examples. These all start with "http://acme.com".

Looking at the latest results from CSD02 I find only one link that has several instances that is an actual mistake:

The actual links for CSPRD01 should be:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/regrep/regrep-core/v4.0/csprd01/xml/minDB/SubmitObjectsRequest_Queries.xml

The problem is that OASIS does not publish a version independent link to this file at:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/regrep/regrep-core/v4.0/xml/minDB/SubmitObjectsRequest_Queries.xml

The resolution for this one error is to simply remove the hyperlink as it is not actually needed and in fact creates issues because OASIS does not publish a version independent link to the file or its parent directory.

Another possible resolution is to create a redirect from http://docs.oasis-open.org/regrep/v4.0/canonical/SubmitObjectsRequest_Queries.xml

to http://docs.oasis-open.org/regrep/regrep-core/v4.0/csprd01/xml/minDB/SubmitObjectsRequest_Queries.xml at the OASIS web site.

Is either of these (removing hyperlinks in a few places or creating a redirect) something we can do without having to submit another CSD/PRD and creating a lot of work for editors as well as OASIS staff?

Please let us know how you think its bets to proceed and we will work with you to get beyond this.

Lastly, I lets discuss what we can change in the Standards Approval process so minor mistakes like this could be caught earlier before going to public review.

Thank you.