Subject: Proposed response to public comment from Reagan Moore

Dear Colleagues,

As you know Reagan has joined RegRep TC and engaged with us in depth regarding the issues posted in his public comment. However, we have the obligation to give a formal response publicly on the regrep-comments list. Here is a proposed response below. Please send your +1 or suggest improvements (you too please, Reagan). Thank you.

<proposedResponse>

Dear Dr. Moore,

Thank you for bringing the requirements of Data Grids to the attention of the RegRep TC. Thanks also for suggesting the possibility of having ebXML RegRep serve as a client interface to the iRODS Data Grid implementation.

We believe that ebXML RegRep standard is very flexible and extensibile and can provide an open standards-based interface and information model to clients of iRODS-based Data Grids. We find the suggestion compelling due to the powerful combination of the highly robust and scalable iRODS software at the back end coupled with the simple, extensible and open ebXML RegRep interface on the front end.

We also, agree with your assessment that there are likely to be some challenges in defining a mapping between ebXML RegRep and iRODS due to some semantic differences and functionality gaps in the ebXML RegRep specification.

More in-depth technical analysis and discussions needs to take place in order for us to identify specific functionality gaps in the ebXML RegRep specification that stand in the way of meeting the requirements for serving as a client interface to iRODS. We invite you to come and formally join the ebXML RegRep TC as a member and help us identify such potential issues in our specifications so that they can be individually tracked in our issue tracker and addressed in a future version of the specification.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comment and suggestion. We look forward to engaging with you in depth to identify and address specific issues so that ebXML RegRep specification may serve as the public client interface for iRODS-based Data Grids.

</proposedResponse>