Subject: Re: Datatype assignment for TREX

> The approach I have taken is to come up with a constraint on patterns
> that can be checked independently of any source document and which is
> sufficient to ensure that an implementation can always easily tell what
> the datatype of a text node or attribute value is.

I should clarify that I am not proposing to add this constraint to
TREX.  Rather this constraint would be imposed by applications that wish
to use TREX to do datatype assignment. The constraint might be described
in a separate spec along with a global attribute (with a distinct
namespace URI) that a TREX pattern could use on a document element to
declare that it satisfies this constraint.