Subject: Differences of Implementations

Somebody asked differences between RELAX Core V1 implementations and
TREX implementations.

RELAX Core V1 has three implementations of verifiers.  One (VBRELAX)
is similar to PyTREX; it backtracks.  The other two implementations
(RELAX Verifier for C++ and RELAX Verifier for Java) are based on
non-deterministic bottom-up tree automata; for each element, multiple
states (or non-terminals or labels) are assigned.

In my understanding, JamesC's implementation of TREX also uses
non-deterministic bottom-up tree automata.  However, James constructs
tree automata lazily.  Consequently, his implementation is extremely
fast when your schema is large but your instance is small.

On the other hand, some constructs of TREX make it hard to actually create tree
automata in advance.  I am concerned, since creation of tree automata
is required for type inference (note: XML Query people plan to incorporate
type inference into their query language).  I am hoping that introduction of
reasonable restrictions will make it possible to construct tree automata
in advance.