Subject: Name classes

I have a question about the design of name classes.
What is the design criteria behind the current spec?

name-class ::= <t:name ns="namespaceURI"> NCName </t:name>
 | <t:anyName/>
 | <t:nsName ns="namespaceURI"/>
 | <t:choice> name-class name-class </t:choice>
 | <t:difference> name-class name-class </t:difference>

There are other possibilities.  For example, simpler designs
are:

1) URI+localName pairs only
2) URI+localName pairs and <anyName> only
3) URI+localName pairs, <anyName>, and
   <nsName namespaces="namespaceURI1 namespaceURI2 namespaceURI3"/> only

On the other hand, we can introduce more powerful primitives.  For
example:

4) (URI, Unicode regular expression) pairs
5) (URI, Unicode regular expression) pairs and <nsName ns="namespaceURI"/>
6) <intersection> on top of 3)
7) boolean operations on top of 4) or 5)

Certainly, Unicode regular expressions are useful.  For examplem, I
might want to allow all HIRAGARA-KATAKANA-KANJI attributes and they
specify that their contents are ASCII-HIRAGANA-KATAKANA-KANJI-PUCNATIONMARKS.