Subject: Re: Datatypes

James Clark wrote:

> "For all atomic datatypes other than string (and types derived by
> キrestrictionキ from it) the value of whiteSpace is collapse and cannot be
> changed by a schema author"
>
> Thus whiteSpace can be changed only for datatype string.  However, if you
> want a string with a whiteSpace facet of replace, then you can just derive
> from the builtin type normalizedString, and if you want a string with a
> whiteSpace facet of collapse, then  you can just derive from the builtin
> type token.

Many types are derived from "string".  They are as below:

normalizedString
token
language
NMTOKEN
Name
NCName
ID
IDREF
ENTITY

Does XML Schema Part 2 allow use of the whitespace facet for
types derived  from "token"?  (I'm just asking.  I personally
see do not reasons to allow this.)

> This means we can have a nice, simple restriction for compatibility of
> datatypes with the same key/keyRef value: the type attributes must specify
> the same expanded name.

I like this proposal.