Subject: Re: Datatype interface for RELAX NG

> > DataTypeException diagnose( String literal, ContextProvide context )
> >                 [ throws UnsupportedOperationException ]
> >
> > I don't want to write try...catch close everytime I need a diagnosis
> > message.
> >
> > ?
>
> Why not?  Many users will want an exception to be thrown in this case.

Well, then probably I should change it throw an exception.

> > > I don't think DataType.displayName is necessary.
> >
> > I want this method for formatting error messages.
>
> What exactly would it return?  What, for example, would it return for
> xsd:string?  If it's "string", doesn't the application already know this?
> If it's something else, don't you need a Locale parameter as well?

It would return something like "string","integer", and so on.  And no,
the application sometimes don't know what datatype it is (e.g. JTREX.)

And it's not hard to provide an implementation for this method.

--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@eng.sun.com