Subject: Re: QNames

James Clark wrote:

> > Can I rather suggest, to be 100% clean:
> >
> > <grammar nsprefix="e=http://www.example.com/e" proxy="yes">
> >  <start>
> >  <element name="addressBook" ns="e">
> >    <zeroOrMore>
>
> Barf!  Structured attributes are evil.

More than structured attribute names?

> > or better IMHO:
> >
> > <grammar proxy="yes">
> >  <prefix name="e" uri="http://www.example.com/e"/>
> >  <start>
> >  <element name="addressBook" ns="e">
> >    <zeroOrMore>
>
> But what if you don't have a <grammar> element?
>
> And what about order dependency?  If you require <prefix> declarations
> before the use of a prefix, then you've lost the order independence of the
> children of <grammar>.  If you don't, then I think implementation will be
> tricky.

Not untrue, this is the best justification of the need for attributes in
XML I have ever heard!

Nobody seems to be shocked that an attribute defines a property that
applies to all the children of its father element but it seems weird to
do the same with an element.

> > Or any other way to define a prefix without using the namespace prefix?
>
> Such as...

They will basically be along the same lines: either a trick to define a
structure in an attribute (and that's what the namespaces have done) or
through an element (without wanting to mention PIs) and one could oppose
the same arguments.

Another way would be to identify datatypes through URIs with support for
XML Base, but I am afraid that it's too far away from the current
syntax.

Eric