Subject: Re: Alternative algorithm to restrict use of data/string in patterns.

#18. restrictStringUse is still open.

Let me propose another possibility.  Allow me to write in a formal
manner.

We denote the class of regular languages over a finite set X by REC(X).
Given a normalized grammar G, let N be the (finite) set of <ref>
in G, A be the (finite) set of <attribute> in G, and D be the (finite)
set of <data> in G.

Any content model (i.e., the children of some <element>) in G certainly
denotes a regular set L over the union of N, A, and D.  That is,
L is in REC(N \cup A \cup D).

I would propose the following restriction.

	L - D  is in REC(N \cup A)

This restriction is closed under intersection and union, but is not
closed under difference.  This is closer to James' proposal, but is
more restrictive.