Subject: Re: Issue: shall we rename the name attribute?

Let me try and explain why <define pattern="..."> does not work for me.

Consider <attribute name="..."/>. Here the "name" attribute of the
"attribute" element gives the name of the attribute. That's what I regard as
an appropriate semantic relationship between the name of an element and the
name of one of its attributes.

Now compare <define pattern="..."/>.  Here the "pattern" attribute of the
"define" attribute gives the ***name*** being defined.  A definition binds a
name to a pattern.  Thus we can consider a definition to have two
components: a name and a pattern.  What you are proposing is that the
"pattern" attribute be used to specify not the component that is a pattern
but rather the component that is a name.