> I strongly dislike allowing <element> inside <list> with the semantics you
> suggest.

I think I probably don't like it, too. But I'm not sure why I don't like
it. I guess it's probably because of the added confusion about the
semantics.

But certainly it is easier to prohibit those things now, and allow them
later if it turns out that that is better, rather than allowing them now
and prohibit them later.

> where 123 matches <data type="int"/> rather than <text/>. This is the same
> reason why I want a stronger restriction than you on mixing elements and
> data.

But as you said, "the job of a Schema language to facilitate good markup
design, not to prevent bad markup design.  The only effective way to
prevent bad markup design is to educate schema designers".

So I don't think we should prohibit things only because it allows bad
markup design.

--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com