Subject: A new name for <difference>?

A name change for <difference> was suggested on this list way back in
February. In fact, the original post on this was the fifth message on this
list.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/relax-ng/200102/msg00004.html

James' reasoning was that if we are using <choice> rather than union (and I
might add nothing instead of <concur> instead of intersection %^}), we may
well come up with another, nonmathematical name for <difference>. Some
suggestions from James have been:

<except>
<butNot>
<allBut>

We closed this issue a few weeks ago
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/issues.html#differenceName)
but with this proviso: "TC's general feeling was, there is no good reason to
change it. On 5/31/2001, TC has decided to close this issue without any
action **until someone bring up a new material***."  (My emphasis.) Just
this week, Murata-san suggested
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/relax-ng/200106/msg00227.html):

<anyNameExcept>
<anyNsNameExcept>

which are very precise.

I think one reason why we have not changed the name of <difference> is
because we haven't heard a bell-ringer yet. Little unresolved issues like
this gnaw at me, so just for fun, I have done a bit of brainstorming in
searching for an alternative name. This is what I have come up with:

<omit>

It is simple, clear, and I think it has the right sense, just as well as
<choice> captures union. <omit>, I think, carries the sense that you are
taking out only part and leaving the rest be, the same as the all-but or
any-except sense.

Some winnowed chaff from my own cogitations:

<exception>
<exclude>
<exclusion>
<barring>
<remove>
<saving>
<block>
<leaveOut>
<leaveBehind>
<jettison>
<reject>

An old rule in collaborative writing is "You can trash my idea /if/ you can
come up with something better!"

Try to come up with something better.

Mike
====