Subject: Re: Context info for datatype libraries

I discussed this offline with Murata-san, and I think I now understand his
concerns.

We can divide datatype library context info into two categories:

1) Information that is the same for all elements in a document (let's call
this document-level context).

2) Information that may vary from element to element within a single
document (let's call this element-level context).

For document-level context, I think we have agreement that we can leave this
open-ended.  Also it doesn't require anything in the formal semantics: we
can regard the datatypeAllows and datatypeEqual functions as being methods
on the document, and hence implicitly having access to arbitrary
document-level context.

However, element-level context cannot be swept under the carpet in this way.
Element-level context cannot be ignored by the formal semantics. Clearly, we
have at least to support namespace map.

I believe we also have to support base URI information (which can vary from
element to element). RELAX NG schemas should themselves be instances of our
data model.  Since <include> and <externalRef> need information about the
base URI, this has to be in our data model. (This is independent of the
xml:base issue; we need base URI information, regardless of whether or not
the base URI info is affected by xml:base attributes.)

I think the issue is simply this: should the element-level context used by a
datatype library be allowed to contain anything other than the namespace map
and base URI?  Murata-san believes not (correct me if I have misrepresented
your position).  I am not yet convinced that it is essential to so limit it
(though I can certainly live with it being so limited).

James