Subject: <start> pattern with @combine

If a <start> pattern has the name attribute like this:

<start name="joe"> P </start>

Then my understanding is that this pattern should be processed as if:

<define name="joe">
</define>

This is also stated in the tutorial, and I guess everyone agrees that
this is the expected behavior.

Now consider a pattern with the combine attribute. The tutorial says
nothing about the relationship between the combine attribute and the
start pattern, but the RELAX NG schema for RELAX NG allows the combine
attribute for the start pattern.

The strange thing is, multiple <start> patterns are automatically combined
by <choice> (at least in TREX, I guess.)

Is this a mistake of the RELAX NG for RELAX NG? Or did we actually allow
<start> to have the combine attribute?

regards,
--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com