Subject: Re: FAQ: questions

Some more possible questions:

Why does RELAX NG use an XML syntax?

Why is RELAX NG so verbose?

What about entity declarations? Why doesn't RELAX NG allow me to declare
entities? What do I do if I need to declare an entity?

What about notation declarations? Why doesn't RELAX NG allow me to declare
notations? What do I do if I need to declare a notation?

Why doesn't RELAX NG do type assignment?  How can I use RELAX NG if I want
to do schema-based type assignment?

How can I do data-binding with RELAX NG?

Why should I care about RELAX NG when I have DTDs?

What about ID/IDREF? Why doesn't RELAX NG do ID/IDREF? What do I do if I
need ID/IDREF?

Why doesn't RELAX NG provide a feature like key, keyRef in XML Schema? What
do I do if I need this functionality?

Why doesn't RELAX NG provide a <documentation> element?

I read that RELAX NG is based on "regular tree languages"? What's that all
about? Does it have any practical benefits?

Why does RELAX NG base itself on grammars?  Isn't a constraint-based
approach like Schematron more powerful?

What about the XML Schema processContents="strict|lax|skip" feature? How
can I do this in RELAX NG?

What about exclusions (as in SGML)? Why doesn't RELAX NG support
exclusions? What do I do if I need this functionality?

Why doesn't RELAX NG support minOccurs/maxOccurs as XML Schema?

(Something about namespaces.  Why does RELAX NG take the approach that it
does? How does RELAX Namespace fit in? Compare with W3C Schema approach.)

(Something about attribute/element content models.)

I read that, unlike DTDs and XML Schema, RELAX NG does not prohibit
ambiguous content models? Does this have any practical benefit?

What's the use of the <interleave> element in RELAX NG?

What's the use of the <parentRef> element in RELAX NG?  What's the use of
nested grammars?

What's the use of the combine attribute in RELAX NG?

James

--On 16 August 2001 12:29 -0700 Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI