Subject: My talks at Extreme

I gave two talks in Extreme 2001.  In my first talk, I introduced classes of
tree grammars (regular, single-type, local, restrained-competition), and explained
which schema languages correspond to which class.

My paper for this talks is available at:

[PDF] http://www.cobase.cs.ucla.edu/tech-docs/dongwon/mura0619.pdf
[RTF] http://www.cobase.cs.ucla.edu/tech-docs/dongwon/mura0619.rtf
[PS] http://www.cobase.cs.ucla.edu/tech-docs/dongwon/mura0619.ps

In my second talk, I introduced RELAX NG as a promising alternative to XML Schema
and presented how DTD features are captured in RELAX NG.  Since people stick to
inheritance, I mentioned my convention for mimicking inheritance.  I also mentioned
relevant observations in my first talk (validation algorithms and boolean closure).

Michael asked a few questions.  (1) Why does RELAX NG always use <ref> and <define>
rather than introducing different mechanisms for referencing different things?
[My answer: James think that one is simpler than many.]
[My answer:  Yes, when you create such schemas.  Most schemas do not have this problem.]
Eve asked a few questions, but I'm afraid that I do not remember.  Somebody said to me that
he was disappointed to hear that RELAX NG does not have inheritance, while others were
very happy with conventions.

I believe that both of my talks worked well and that people in the traditional
SGML community see advantages of RELAX NG.  However, since this community is
merely a small portion of XMLers, we have to sell RELAX NG a lot more.