Subject: Re: a:attributeType

James Clark wrote:

> I've been thinking about Mike's suggestion that we should
> xsd:ID/IDREF/IDREFS instead of a:attributeType.  The more I think about this
> the more it makes sense from the point of view of the user.  The problem is
> how to specify it.

I like this proposal.  In particular, I like separation of "ID-sound" and validity.

I think that the user should not be forced to use the XML Schema datatype library, which
is buggy and complicated, only to use ID/IDREF/IDREFS.  Is it OK if an implementation
implements only ID/IDREF/IDREFS (and possibly easy built-in datatypes and facets) and do
not implement other complicated datatypes and facets?

> One problem is that this isn't anything to do with annotations, so either we
> would have to call our spec something other than "DTD Compatibility
> Annotations" (maybe simply "DTD Compatibility") or we would have to move
> this feature into a separate spec.

Probably as part of the guideline document for using XML Schema Part 2 from RELAX NG?