Subject: Re: Associating schema with document

Murata-san raised the issue of whether we want to do this at all. We need
to resolve that before we resolve the issue of how to do it.

There's one crucial difference between a processing instruction and an
attribute: adding a processing instruction cannot change the validity of a
document whereas adding an attribute can.  This means that if we use a
namespaced attribute for this, we are faced with two options, both of which
seem very unattractive to me.

(a) The namespace of this attribute (let's use a prefix of "xri" for this)
is not treated specially by RELAX NG.  This means that an instance can use
xri:schemaLocation only of the schema explicitly allows it.  That's fine
except that it means that xri:schemaLocation cannot be used with any schema
that is equivalent to an existing XML 1.0 DTD, since all existing XML 1.0
DTDs are "closed" (only allow a fixed set of attributes and elements).
Thus, it totally fails to XML 1.0 DTD compatible, which was the main goal
of doing this.

(b) RELAX NG treats this namespace specially.  Attributes with this
namespace URI wouldn't show up as attributes in the RELAX NG data model but
as something else. They would be like xmlns attributes for the namespace
Rec, or like xsi in the W3C XML Schemas Rec. Now, if I have some document
type that is defined by some specification independently of RELAX NG, that
won't give any special treatment to the xri namespace.  If I want to then
capture this document type in RELAX NG, I can't do it accurately: the RELAX
NG schema will give special treatment to the xri namespace which the
document type I'm trying to capture doesn't.  It's assuming that RELAX NG
is the center of the universe.  If I had to pick one feature of W3C Schema
that I detest the most, it's a tough choice, but I think I would nominate
the special treatment of the xsi namespace.

I see no problem in using a processing instruction in a spec that is
designed purely for backwards compatibility with XML 1.0 DTDs.  Nobody is
proposing this as part of the main RELAX NG spec.  It is being proposed
only as part of RELAX NG DTD Compatibility.

James