Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Re: RELAX NG + Schematron

> If you're implementing on top of SAX, that's true.  But since RELAX NG does
> not alter the infoset, I don't think there is any conceptual incoherence in
> having the assertion affect the match, and I don't think it would be hard to
> do this on top of the DOM.

Of course you are right. I'm sometimes surprised at how foolish I can
be.

> For the other approach, it would make more sense to simply have an attribute
> with an XPath expression:
>
> <element name="orders" x:require="count(order) > 4">
>   <oneOrMore>
>     <ref name="order"/>
>   </oneOrMore>
> </element>

I don't think the syntax of writing assertions has something to do
with the algorithm. This way of writing assertions can work fine with
the "RNG-first-n-Schematron-later" style, and writing <s:rule> and
<s:assertion> can work well with the "use-schematron-to-guide-RNG"
style, too.

> By sound you mean if the restriction holds, then type-assignment is possible
> (or easy for some definition of easy)? By complete, if type-assignment is
> possible, then the restriction must hold? Right?

Yes.

> I would be inclined to use the same approach that we had with xsl:key and
> xsl:keyRef, namely that there is no path wrt respect to which two different
> sets of s:assert elements are applicable.

Yeah, I didn't realize that we can use the same algorithm as
key/keyref.

I was thinking about a bit more relaxed (but time-consuming) algorithm.

one can get element-only pattern P.

Then:

function check( Pattern p ) {
  if( p is already checked )    return;

  for( each e in first(p) ) {
    E' := { e' | e' \in first(p) and e ~ e' }

    if( E' contains more than one element with assertion )
        eureka!;

    check( choice of all content models in E' );
    check( residual of p by E' );
  }
}

By using

e ~ e' iff the intersection of their name classes is non-empty.

and

function first( Pattern p ) {
  switch(p) {
  case <group> p1 p2 </group>
    if(!p1.isNullable)   return first(p1);
    else return union(first(p1),first(p2));

  case <interleave> p1 p2 </interleave>:
  case <choice> p1 p2 </choice>:
    return union(first(p1),first(p2));

  case <element>:
    return { p };
  }
}

This algorithm is better in the sense that it allows more patterns,
but harder and time-consuming to check.

regards,
--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com